A facial steam is a great home remedy to help unblock the buildup of phlegm and mucous caused by the common cold. Follow the steps below to give yourself a facial steam.
CAUTION: Before using a steam take a breath test. Inhale the steam before completely covering the bowl with the towel. This is to ensure that the temperature is comfortable and that if using an essential oil it does not cause irritation.
If you feel that the treatment is getting too much for you, raise the towel to get some fresh air and breathe through your mouth a couple of times and then resume the treatment. Should you at any time feel uncomfortable discontinue the treatment.
Items You Will Need:
· Kettle or pot
· Heat resistant bowl
· Towel large enough to cover your head and seal in the heat
· Essential oil (optional)
1. Bring water to a boil in a kettle or pot. Add 3-5 drops of essential oil such as eucalyptus, or 2-3 tbsp of dried herb of choice.
2. Remove kettle, or pot from stove and pour into a heat resistant bowl and place bowl on a steady surface, such as a table.
3. Next place the towel over your head and hold your face a safe distance from the water (as the steam can burn), approx 12-18inches.
The towel should surround the bowl to ensure steam stays inside.
4. Close your eyes and breathe in deeply. If you are congested inhale through your nose. If you have a cough inhale through your mouth. Continue this for 10-15min. You will notice your nose may begin to run as the congestion is released.
5. Discard the water. You may follow this up with a bath adding 5-10 drops of essential oil, or 2 cups of epsolm salt.
Why Use Essential Oil?
Essential oil like eucalyptus is beneficial because it is an anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and an anti-inflammatory. It also has decongestant ingredients that help soothe the sinuses, throat, and lungs by breaking up the phelgm and mucous that causes painful congestion.