Many of us experience stress at one point or another throughout our day and life. Learning diaphragmatic breathing can be a very effective way to relax our body and decrease our stress, and help you fall asleep faster. I must admit before I began using this technique I was skeptical of its ability to decrease your stress, but I find it very effective and it works!
Follow These Simple Steps
1) Find a quiet place where will not be disturbed.
2) Lie on your back on a flat firm surface. Place your right hand on your diaphragm ( your stomach ,just bellow the belly button).
3) Close your eyes and breathe through your nose.
4) Now place your left hand on your upper chest. You should feel no movement here. Your breathing should be felt coming from your diaphragm. If doing this correctlty you will notice that your right hand will gently rise and fall with your breathing.
5) Notice how breathing from your diaphragm feels different from chest breathing.
6) Continue to breathe through your nose, keeping your mouth closed. Focus on the feeling of the rising and falling of your stomach area.
Practice this relaxed diaphragmatic breathing for 10-20min daily.
TIPS: While it sounds simple, we breathe without thinking about it every second of every day. However, diaphragmatic breathing takes practice. Most of us breathe through our chest. Be patient.
You will soon notice if you practice this technique enough that you will become more aware when you are stressed because your breathing pattern changes and becomes more constricted, shallow, and through your chest. As you gain control over your breathing, you will gain control over your stress.